Wednesday, August 01, 2007

My beloved Wall Street Journal

I absolutely love my Wall Street Journal. Even better, I have never paid a penny for my subscription. I cash in airline miles to get the best paper around. Now that Rupert Murdoch and News Corp. will buy Dow Jones the big $60/share question is "how will the paper change?".

Lesson #1: Money talks, bullshit walks. Or, money buys anything. If your shares trade in the mid-$30's and someone offers $60, you can kiss a century of family legacy and haughty journalistic principles goodbye.

Lesson #2: You can't be a public company and expect to act privately. Especially when your editorial page pounds the loudest drumbeat for the potency of the free market.

Lesson #3: Nothing is sacred. Everything changes.

Therefore, I plan to continue reading with an open mind and will ride the wave of changes. If I become disappointed, I can always exercise my free market rights and cancel.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I enjoy the WSJ as well. The reporting is superb and the editorials are finely crafted pieces that I usually learn from even as I'm disagreeing with most of them.

I wish Murdoch had bought a small country or a couple of congressmen instead.

3:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home