Saturday, December 22, 2007

Peggy Noonan scores

In an outstanding column, she bursts the Huckabubble. Two highlights follow. Read the whole thing to see the appropriate conservative response to the inappropriate religiosity of the current political campaign. "Bleh" indeed!

First, she calls him out about a TV ad:

[Huckabee] is using the cross so I'll like him. That doesn't tell me what he thinks of Jesus, but it does tell me what he thinks of me. He thinks I'm dim. He thinks I will associate my savior with his candidacy. Bleh.

Then, she echoes Barry Goldwater with this:

The problem with this, and with Bushian compassionate conservatism, which seems to have an echo in Mr. Huckabee's Christianism, is that to the extent it is a philosophy, it is not a philosophy that allows debate. Because it comes down to "This is what God wants." This is not an opener of discussion but a squelcher of it. It doesn't expand the process, it frustrates it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home