Saturday, July 15, 2006

Dr. Michael Schermer rules

My hero Dr. Michael Schermer played psychic for a day to debunk the silly phenomenon. This money quote from a must-read article could also apply to any superstition (or religion!):

But people are eager to believe, and easy to fool. I asked Shermer, by e-mail, about what happens when people find out they've been taken in. "My experience with disclosing to subjects that I've been pretending to be psychic is not at all positive. No one has ever said 'Oh, wow, I never realized how easy it is to fake being a psychic, I guess this means I should rethink my beliefs about ESP.' Instead what I always get is anger and resentment that I've tried to take something away, that I'm evil for being a spoiler of a cherished belief, and that it is none of my business," he answered.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home